As the most important (and expensive) part of your home, when it’s time to replace your roof, you want it done right, the first time. Replacing a roof is not like changing a tire, to do the job right takes years of experience and training. As such, roof replacement is rarely a DIY job and definitely not something you hire your teen cousins to do. You need a pro. But where do you start?
Most homeowners won’t need to replace their roofs more than once every few decades so the process of finding a roof professional and making sure the job is done right isn’t common knowledge. To help with that we’ve put together a “Roof Replacement Checklist” to help you find the contractor you need and have the knowledge necessary to be confident the job is done right.
Feel free to use this checklist no matter where you are or who you hire:
Roof Replacement Checklist
For a more detailed, printable version of this checklist, click here.
- Get a thorough roof inspection by a qualified roof contractor
- Get a detailed proposal that tells you exactly what it’s going to cost.
- No money down and no payment until job is complete and you are satisfied!
- A company with a full office support staff is a plus
- Ensure a site inspection is performed prior to installation
- Ensure a thorough inspection of every part of you roof is performed (deck, rafters, etc) and any problems are addressed.
- Ensure proper planning to protect structures and landscaping.
- Ensure the old roof is completely removed down to the deck.
- Ensure the deck is in perfect shape for the new roof.
- See detailed list, but ensure all components and materials are high quality properly shipped and handled to reduce problems.
- Ensure nail guns are NOT being used. Hand nailing ensures a properly installed roof (see “Why We Hand Nail” for more information).
- Ensure proper ventilation is considered and implemented.
- Ensure your roof contractor blows all debris off of roof, gutters, downspouts and driveway.
- Your roof contractor should touch up painting of any siding, trim or gutters that had to be detached and reset
- Ensure a spotless clean-up of any job-related debris including sweeping yard with magnets to pick up any loose nails.
- Ensure an inspection by a job supervisor with roofing crew foreman
- Final inspection by a knowledgeable roofing professional with the customer
At Atlanta Roofing Specialists, and educated customer is our best customer! If you have any questions about roof replacement or would like to schedule a free initial estimate, call us today, in Metro Atlanta call (770) 419-2222!